The Department of Teacher Training and Development formerly known as the Department of Teacher Education was established in the later half of 1989. The primary purpose of the Department is to give leadership and direction in teacher education at both Pre-service and In-service levels. The main objective of the Department therefore is to develop a well qualified and highly motivated local teaching staff by:
- Translating Government policies into realistic teacher education programmes.
- Setting the training standards for the development of teachers in the primary and secondary schools, and tutors in the teacher training colleges.
- Linking the processes of Teacher Training with those of Curriculum Development so that appropriate and relevant teacher training programmes are developed.
- Developing effective in-service education programmes for teachers in primary, secondary and teacher training institutions.
- Building institutional capacity for teacher development in the schools through training of trainers.